Rebuilding a Church on the Island of Île-à-Vache
We are committed to rebuilding the leveled church of Pastor Moclaire and finding a sustainable water source for the people. We are so grateful for the financial contributions from many of you in the wake of Hurricane Matthew. There is still a long way to go and we want to share with you more about our long term relief efforts for Île-à-Vache in Haiti.
God has provided $68,000 toward the $85,000 need. We still need $17,000 to help rebuild the church on Ile a Vache.
It's been ten weeks since Hurricane Matthew made landfall on Haiti. The death toll has surpassed 1,000 with hundreds of injuries, and there is now a cholera outbreak due unclean drinking water. The road to recovery will be long and it is our hope to provide help in this time of suffering. We are committed to rebuilding the leveled church of Pastor Moclaire and finding a sustainable water source for the people. We are so grateful for the financial contributions from many of you in the wake of Hurricane Matthew. There is still a long way to go and we want to share with you more about our long term relief efforts for Île-à-Vache in Haiti.
We have been in contact with many of our friends and know that our relief efforts are needed to help the people of Île-à-Vache. This small island experienced full force category 4 winds of Hurricane Matthew for hours destroying homes, agriculture, and churches.
What Makes Ile La Vache a Key Place to Re-build a Church?
Many Haitians have been moving to Ile La Vache in hopes of finding jobs and providing for their families through the ever growing tourist industry on the island. The steady growth in population creates a great need for a church.
The island is isolated a few miles off the coast of Haiti. Travel to the mainland is not practical or even possible for most locals. Thus, they must rely heavily on their community and resources on the island. There are not enough churches on the island and locals need a place of worship that is accessible to them in their community.
Central to Community
Rebuilding a sturdy, safe church building will provide much needed services to the island, including a place for people to receive aid, participate in community events, have access to a safe secure structure in the wake of other natural disasters or emergencies, and of course provide a place to hear and know the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
5 Facts You May Not Know about Île-à-Vache:
- Île-à-Vache is a french word that comes from it's former Spanish name "Isla Vaca" meaning Cow Island
- The island is roughly 6.5 miles offshore of the main island of Haiti.
- The population is over 14,000 adults and many children
- The island, though a little hard to get to, is a popular tourist destination with beautiful white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters
- The island was once used by pirate Captain Henry Morgan as a base for his operations. Many of his ships were lost of the cost of the island in storms and have recently been discovered.
Make a Contribution
We are looking for financial gifts of all sizes to make this project a reality. To be a part of bringing hope to the people of Île-à-Vache please follow these instructions to give online:
- Follow this link https://swp.paymentsgateway.net/co/default.aspx?pg_api_login_id=JbqSslB6Z&pg_continue_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhoperisinghaiti.org%2F
- Complete your billing information and click "Continue"
- Select "Île-à-Vache" from Donation Designation drop down menu and click "Continue"
- Fill in credit card information click "Continue"
- Review and submit your gift - thank you!